- Rainbow Association Malkus was founded in 2014 to enhance the spiritual and mental wellbeing of people who belong to sexual and gender minorities.
- The association is national and has activities in various parts of Finland and on the web. Some activities are international.
- Since the beginning of the year 2015 Malkus has been a member of the Finnish central organization for sexual and gender minorities Seta.
- The name Malkus originates from the Bible (John 18:10). It was first adopted by the Christian group of the Seta in Helsinki in the beginning of the 1980's. The name became established and was used also in other contexts than the group above. That is why it was a natural choice for the name of a national organization. At the time of the founding of the new association a Malkus concept was developed, to create a common base and to link together the different groups and other actors with the name Malkus. The concept is maintained by the association.
- Despite its biblical name and the aim to enhance spiritual wellbeing the association is not bound to any spiritual or religious movement or doctrine. Its members belong to various denominations and religions and may practice their confessions and beliefs within the framework provided by the association.
- Domestic activities: In Finland Malkus arranges various event both alone and with its partners, including:
- Taakasta voimavaraksi (in English "From burden to resource") is a three year state funded project to enhance the spiritual and mental wellbeing of people who belong to sexual and gender minorities. The project started in 2018.
- Malkus camps once a year have been a tradition since 1995. Today they are arranged by the association.
- Discussion events
- Freeform gatherings
- Speed dating events
- Participating in pride parades in various cities
- Web activities: On its web site malkus.fi the association has a national event calendar in which the times and places of many kinds of events by various organizers are listed. There is a short description of each regular form of activity with contact information of the organizing party. On the web site there is also information on the association itself and a sizable international link library. In addition to the web site the association has a mailing list , a Facebook page , an Instagram account and a YouTube channel .
- International activities: Malkus has cooperated with the European Forum of LGBT Christian Groups in its Eastern European Partnership project, which supports rainbow Christian groups in Eastern Europe.
- Seta and its member organizations: The Finnish national LGBT organization Seta is a natural partner for Malkus. The association gets allowances from Seta and is entitled to use its facilities. In Seta's regional organizations, there are social groups with the name Malkus that adhere to the principles defined in the Malkus concept, maintained by the association. The association itself has no regular group activity.
- Sinuiksi service: National support and advising service Sinuiksi is part of the activities of Pirkanmaan Seta. The association cooperates with it both nationally and locally in Tampere.
- Yhteys movement: Malkus has a representative in Yhteys movement's board, which enables comprehensive cooperation and mutual exchange of information.
- Arcus network: Cooperation occurs partly within Yhteys movement. Together with Arcus people, many Malkus activists take part in arranging Rainbow Masses and other events.
- European Forum of LGBT Christian Groups: Malkus has participated the Eastern European Partnership -project.
- Parishes of the Lutheran Church: Rainbow Masses belong to the activities of local Lutheran parishes in many cities and many Malkus activists take part in arranging them. Furthermore, the association has been allowed to use parish facilities in Helsinki by Kallion seurakunta, in Tampere by Tuomiokirkkoseurakunta and in Turku by Henrikinseurakunta.
- Partnership Training Center Kataja: Cooperation occurs in the coordination of Helsinki Pride events, before also in the Rainbow Couples Project.
- Lutheran Student Christian Movement: In Turku the association has been allowed to use the facilities of LSCM's local chapter TYKY.
- Metropolitan Community Church (MCC): Cooperation occurs partly within Yhteys movement. Some Malkus activists also take part in MCC activities in Helsinki.
- Universities, academies and schools: Cooperation occurs in the form of theses and studies.
- In addition to those mentioned above the association cooperates with many other parties, for example by publishing their events in its calendar.
How to participate:
- By joining Malkus mailing list. You can join at the same time you become a member of the association or by giving your email address to the organizers of any event arranged by the association. After receiving an invitation to the list you must accept it by clicking the link in the message. On the list you get information on current issues and events and you can also post messages to the list yourself.
- By participating in the arrangement of activities, either as a board member / deputy or as a different kind of volunteer. Board members are elected in the autumn meeting of the association. As a board member you can best affect the directions and activities of the association. It is also possible to participate in the activities without being a board member. Our aim is that everyone is able to do the type of volunteer work that suits the person best.